- General Studies – 1
- General Studies – 2
- General Studies – 3
- General Studies – 4
- GENERAL ESSAY PAPER
Foundational Values of Civil Service
- Dedication to public service
- Compassion towards the weaker sections
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by G Subba Rao and PN Roy Chowdhary
- Lexicon on Ethics- Chronicle
- What do you understand by the following terms in the context of public service?
(iii) Spirit of service
(v) Courage of conviction
(b) Indicate two more attributes which you consider important for public service. Justify your answer.
- “The good of an individual is contained in the good of all”. What do you understand by this statement? How can this principle be implemented in public life?
- “Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, but knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.” What do you understand by this statement? Explain your stand with illustrations from modern day context.
- (a) “A mere compliance with law is not enough, the public servant also have to have a well-developed sensibility to ethical issues for effective discharge of duties” Do you agree? Explain with the help of two examples where (i) an act is ethically right, but not legally and (ii) an act is legally right, but not ethically.
(b) How do the virtues of trustworthiness and fortitude get manifested in public service? Explain with examples