- General Studies – 1
- General Studies – 2
- General Studies – 3
- General Studies – 4
- GENERAL ESSAY PAPER
Disasters & Disaster management
With increasing changes to our climate and environment, knowing about disasters, finding methods to get prepared, to mitigate and to get adapted to changes are quite essential to day to day life. This makes the topic important for UPSC.
- International Efforts towards disaster management: Hyogo and Sendai
- National Disaster Management Act 2005
- State level Disaster management Machinery
- Manmade and Natural Disasters
- Latest events
- http://cbse.nic.in/natural%20hazards%20&%20disaster%20management.pdf [CBSE supplementary Textbook. ]
- http://www.ndma.gov.in/en/about-ndma/roles-responsibilities.html [NDMA : Role and responsibilities.]
- http://www.unisdr.org/files/8720_summaryHFP20052015.pdf [Hyogo Framework]
- http://www.unisdr.org/we/coordinate/sendai-framework [Sedai framework for Disaster Risk Reduction]
- Read about “Heat Wave and Cold Wave”
- How important are vulnerability and risk assessment for pre-disaster management? As an administrator, what are key areas that you would focus on in a Disaster Management System? (200 words)
- Drought has been recognized as a disaster in view of its spatial expanse, temporal duration, slow onset and lasting effects on vulnerable sections. With a focus on the September 2010 guidelines from the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), discuss the mechanisms for preparedness to deal with likely El Nino and La Nina fallouts in India.
- The frequency of earthquakes appears to have increased in the Indian subcontinent. However, India’s preparedness for mitigating their impact has significant gaps. Discuss various aspects.