- INDIAN POLITY FOR CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATIONS
- Indian Culture for Prelims Preparation
- Environment and Ecology
- Science & Technology
- Indian History
- Current Affairs
Features of Indian Constitution
Federalism and Parliamentary form of Government are the two salient features of Indian Constitution. A clear understanding of these concepts and the related provisions in the Constitution is a pre requisite to be a part of the Governing Structure of our country.
From the “Previous Year Questions” tab, you will be able to understand the number of questions that are asked by UPSC and the relevance attached to these features. Atleast one question can be expected from this area every year in IAS Prelims .
- Federal System
- Parliamentary System
- Laxmikant 4th edition: Chapter 12 & 13
1)In the context of India, which of the following principles is/are implied institutionally in the parliamentary government?
1. Members of the Cabinet are members of the Parliament
2. Ministers hold the office till they enjoy confidence in the Parliament.
3. Cabinet is headed by the Head of the state.
Select the correct answer using code given below.
a. 1 and 2 only
b. 3 only
c. 2 and 3 only
1)There is a Parliamentary System of Government in India because the
a. Lok Sabha is elected directly by the people
b. Parliament can amend the Constitution
c. Rajya Sabha cannot be dissolved
d. Council of Ministers is responsible to Lok Sabha
1) Which one of the following is not a feature of Indian federalism?
(a) There is an independent judiciary in India.
(b) Powers have been clearly divided between the Centre and the States.
(c) The federating units have been given unequal representation in the Rajya Sabha.
(d) It is the result of an agreement among the federating units.
2) Democracy’s superior virtue lies in the fact that it calls into activity
(a) the intelligence and character of ordinary men and women.
(b) the methods for strengthening executive leadership.
(c) a superior individual with dynamism and vision.
(d) a band of dedicated party workers.