- INDIAN POLITY FOR CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATIONS
- Indian Culture for Prelims Preparation
- Environment and Ecology
- Science & Technology
- Indian History
- Current Affairs
Modern History 1765-1857
- Rule of East India Company to First War of Independence.
- Regulating Act 1773
- Pitts India Act 1786
- Charter Act of 1813,1833,1853
- Development of Civil Services
- Bipin Chandra- History of Modern India- Chapters 3, 4,5,6 & 7
1)By a regulation in 1793, the District Collector was deprived of his judicial powers and made the collecting agent only. What was the reason for such regulation?
(a) Lord Cornwallis felt that the District Collector’s efficiency of revenue collection would enormously increase without the burden of other work.
(b) Lord Cornwallis felt that Judicial power should compulsorily be in the hands of Europeans while Indians can be given the job of revenue collection in the districts.
(c) Lord Cornwallis was alarmed at the extent of power concentrated in the District Collector and felt that such absolute power was undesirable in one person.
(d) The judicial work demanded a deep knowledge of India and a good training in law and Lord Cornwallis felt that District Collector should be only a revenue collector?
1)The tendency for increased litigation was visible after the introduction of the land settlement system of lord Cornwallis in 1793. The reason for this is normally traced to which of the following provisions ?
(a) Making zamindar’s position stronger visàvis the ryot.
(b) Making east India company an overlord of zamindars.
(c) Making judicial system more efficient.
(d) None of the (a), (b) and (c) above.
2)With reference to the period of colonial rule in India, “Home Charges “ formed an important part of the drain of wealth from India.Which of the following funds constituted “Home Charges’’ ?
1. Funds used to support the India office in London.
2. Funds used to pay salaries and pensions of British personnel engaged in India.
3. Funds used for waging wars outside India by the British.
(a) 1 only.
(b) 1 and 2 only.
(c) 2 and 3 only.
(d) 1,2,and 3.
With reference to Ryotwari Settlement, consider the following statements:
1. The rent was paid directly by the peasants to the Government.
2. The Government gave Pattas to the Ryots.
3. The lands were surveyed and assessed before being taxed.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 1, 2 and 3
1) Who among the following was/were associated with the introduction of Ryotwari Settlement in India during the British rule?
- Lord Cornwallis
- Alexander Read
- Thomas Munro
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Answer : C